5 Ways Partisan Politics Harms The Nation!3 min read
The United States of America, certainly, does not have any worse, a political, and/ or, electoral/ voting system, than most other nations, around the world, unfortunately, it remains, far – too partisan, and this refusal to seek a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, often, harms this country! Many Americans, seem to be, proud of our heritage, in terms of the visions and supposed – intents, of our Founding Fathers. It is those, Constitutional guarantees, of rights, and freedoms, which have the potential, to make a significant difference, for the better of the nation, and our citizens! This seems, to have, gotten, worse, in recent times, with the level of polarization, hate crimes, and attempts, to divide us, and deprive many, of their equal rights, and justice! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 specific ways, excessive, partisan politics, harms this nation!
1. No meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good: Not only, is there no meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, but, it seems, very – little, attempt, to achieve this objective! When, so many, seem driven – by, their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, what they perceive as their self – interest, and equate, opinions they like, with facts, it has the potential, to harm us, in a relevant and sustainable manner! Apparently, this leaders, certain politicians, to articulate a message, which, pits – one American, against another, and, results – in, little true benefits/ beneficial actions/ plans, being achieved!
2. Driven by personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, not common good: Unless/ until, voters demand better, and more, from their elected officials, pay greater attention, and demand viable solutions, and strategic actions, politicians will continue, articulating a message, they believe, is populist, and will continue, getting them, reelected! We must do better, as voters!
3. Very little (of – consequence), achieved: Why do we accept, a continuation, of the same – old, same – old, behaviors, when, we need, far – better? Issues, which should be priorities, and considered, in a timely manner, seem, to be avoided, and/ or, ignored, and, very little progress, seems, to be achieved, regarding, time – sensitive obstacles, including, Climate Change, environmental issues, and reducing – the – divide, between our citizens!
4. Constant, us, versus, them, instead of strategic planning: The level of polarization, today, seems, to be, the worst, in recent memory! Too many, seem to care, only, about themselves, and their perceived – interests, instead of the greater good, especially, in a realistic, relevant, sustainable, empathetic way! We need, well – considered, strategic planning, which provides us, with the best – path – forward, in a proactive manner!
5. Populist rhetoric/ promises, instead of real solutions, etc: Only, when voters, decide to assume personal responsibility, and consider, the bigger – picture, and demand, actual solutions, and paths – forward, rather than, merely, populist rhetoric, and empty promises, will our nation, proceed, more wisely, etc!
Wake up, America, and pay closer attention, to those, who run – for, elected office! It’s up – to, each of us, to assume, greater personal responsibility, in this regard!